I know the saying goes “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks” but, there couldn’t be anything further from the truth! Old dogs are extremely capable of learning new things. Dogs are really smart, and although it might take an older dog a bit longer than a younger one, you should still end up with the same outcome.
Make sure that you choose tricks that your dog will be able to do. For example, it’s probably not the best idea to teach an old dog with bad arthritis to do a backflip. Even if your old dog is healthy, a backflip is still probably not the best idea.
Keep training sessions short, around 5-10 minutes at a time to keep your older dog engaged and also so you don’t tire them out.
Just keep these things in mind if you decide to train your senior dog, and he should succeed!
Here are some easy tricks to teach your dog!
- Sit is a very simple trick that any dog should learn no matter their age
- If it isn’t comfortable for your dog to sit and stay, you can always train him to lay down and stay.
- Train your dog to touch a “target” of your choice, with either their paw or their nose. Once they have this trick down it opens the door to many cool tricks!
- Yep your dog can yawn on command! Just reward your dog with a treat each time you catch them yawning and say the word “yawn”.
- Put his toys away
- This is an easy one and can be very helpful! This is a very simple trick and yet it still gets your dog moving around.
- Ring a bell to go outside
- This trick is soo simple! Any dog at any age should know this trick(unless of course they have a doggy door)!
- Walk Backwards
- This one is fun and easy for your dog to learn!
That’s all for today’s post! I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day!